This wall ALONE has a million projects left on it, but I keep telling myself “one thing at a time.” So, here’s the current project count.
#1: I need a new hB switchplate cover. I have an irrational disgust and hatred of plastic switchplate covers. They look like someone just doesn’t care about the room. When I can find the hB configuration for this one, in brushed pewter, I’ll jump on it. So far, nothing.
#2: Shelving for current projects and display
#3: This countertop/sink needs to swapped out. I have a grand scheme of painting this cabinet base, raising it several inches to run even with the glass counter, and installing a more utilitarian utility sink with a HIGH faucet. I just haven’t found what I want, for the price I want to pay. (ie: very little!)
#4: I have a stack of white subway tile with this area’s name written all over it. I’ll extend that all the way down the wall. I love subway tile and it is going to make this area so uniform and clean looking - I cannot wait to do this. But, Ihave to do the cabinet/countertop first. *sigh*
#5: The ceiling, gah! Now that David and I have installed this gorgeous uplight, it really highlights an enormous crack in the ceiling that I had NEVER even notice before. Also, I’m installing matching crown moulding in here to the built in bookcase that is on the opposite wall from here. I think it will help the whole room come together.
#6: Paint the wood base white.
Glass unpacked! I got these amazing racks at Goodwill for $2 each when we moved here. I saw them and instantly earmarked them for glass racks. I would have bought 10 more if they had had them. I don’t know what they are actually used for, but if I had more, I use them for current records in rotation on the turntable.
Lola is THRILLED to have more floor space to run around on, like a little monkey. I’m just amazed you can actually SEE the floor in there. You haven’t been able to in over a year!
This may be the cleanest my glass table has or EVER will be. So, I’ll refer to this picture when I need to remember WHERE the table is.
I put my favourite pieces and bits of glass in the corner of the table to gaze on. I’m going to add a lamp to this corner as well for colour reference. I need to have an area with no purple in it so I can true the colour as best as I can.
Shot of the finished area above the work sink. I rehung the mirror that was there previously, but I hung it long ways. The new fixture is amazing, it sheds SO much more light that the old one and it is soft, diffused, useable light. Removing that ‘80’s beauty bar light was the single greatest thing I’ve done in this room.
Welcome back to the glass studio! We’ve had torrential rain for days, so I went back to focusing on indoor projects that remain unfinished. One of the most disturbing ones was in the glass studio. I took down the atrocious white 80’s beauty bar light and discovered, horror upon horrors, that it was simply attached to a wire in the wall. NO box, no supports, nada. Great…. Marci puts back on her “Electrician” hat and learns how to install an “old work” box. Off went the power. I got out my Dremel AND sabre saw to cut a new hole in the wall, away from the stud, nearly cut into some ancient knob and tube that was hidden in the wall. gah. Then, I had to refeed the wire through the new hole, into the “old work” box and then install into the wall. A bit of manipulation with my trusty rubber mallet and we’re in! I leveled the box (because the bane of my existence is every wonky assed outlet and switchplate in this house!) screwed everything into place and then set about the “fun” of patching the old lighting hole with slow set joint compound. I want a seriously good bond and I am fine with waiting 24 hours for it to set. Next up, prime, paint and hang the new fixture. Not sure what I’m going to do about where the mirror was. Possibly a new mirror. I’m just going to be pleased as punch to have LIGHT in that room again so I can get to organizing the repainted room on these crummy, rainy days!
I’ve entered our carriage house/barn/garage type structure into the HGTV’d contest. If we generate enough “5” star ratings, lovely comments and general interest, we’ve got a good chance of catching the attention of the HGTV peeps. So, if you have a moment and are feeling charitable, please go vote for us. Vote early, vote often. Thank you!
Our upstairs hallway has been on my mind for months. The pendant lighting casts a jaundiced glare onto the already puke lemon walls. I searched out paint swatches and sample sizes and arranged them on the walls to study them in every light. I was between the Cement Grey and the Milk Pail. It had to work with the green from the lower level and all the varying shades of colour as you transition into the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. Milk Pail wins. Our hallway has one lighting sconce that is tragic. Someone thought that it looked vintage enough to go in, but it is a massive fail. The sconce is an odd rubbed bronze with a hazy glass shade that isn’t age appropriate to the house. Good-bye fixture. Welcome, brand new, gorgeous Meyda Tiffany lily sconce with green shades. I have my eye out for an appropriate pendant light to balance the Meyda sconce. This weekend I will be getting into smoothing walls and priming and taping in prep for getting the hallway completed. Because I cannot WAIT to get that new sconce up!